Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Monday Update

It has rained here for the past 2 days solid, I mean REALLY rained. Today looks like it will clear up. Hopefully because, Mr. Chen or Aaron as I have named him in English, is coming to show me on campus where it is that I get to teach my classes,
Yesterday was quite the day. It was Sunday and we woke to "bucketfulls of rain". We had to leave for church by 8:50 a.m. so we got our umbrellas and met the others in the lobby. We hurried to the bus stop and met the Oceans teachers and boarded the bus for the 40 minute ride to the "church". Our church services are in a Korean couples apartment and there are about 38-40 people in the branch. Rog blessed the bread in English and a Korean brother blessed the water in Korean! All songs are in both English and Korean and every speaker has a Korean intrepeter. It was the 5th Sunday, so the Relief Society and Priesthood were combined and we all had to stand up and tell where we were from and a little bit about service. As soon as the meeeting was over, we walked back to the bus stop, and boarded a very crowded bus. I mean crowded too. We were in that bus just like sardines in a little can!
We were in a hurry to reach our apartment because we all had a meeting with the Qingdao University staff at 3:00. JoAnn Goodrich - our friend - called us to come to their apartment for a little toasted tomato,cheese, bacon sandwich. Yes, Rog ate the sandwich!!!!!! Also, she served fresh apples and Asian pears (the best ever)
Our meeting with the University was very interesting. They introduced themselves, and we introduced ourselves. They had a table with "treats" set up. The treats consisted of bananas, cherry tomatoes, instant coffee, little packaged Chinese cookies and crackers.
I spoke with "Aaron" again and he handed me a revised teaching schedule. I have 2 more classes added to my teaching schedule!!!
The funny thing is - the one class is a post graduate class. I AM NOT A TEACHER BY PROFESSION!!!!! I was shocked, to say the least. So, now I teach 14 hours on "odd" weeks and 12 hours on "even" weeks. What the heck????
Last night was the first time we had some free time on our hands to do as we pleased. We looked at my teaching manuals :( and listened to some music, watched the news (of course) and read scriptures. We always go to bed by 9:30 or 10:00 and wake up by 5:45 - 6:00. Yes, we are getting old....
We love and miss you all. You are all in our prayers......
OXXOOXOXOXo Jane

No comments: