Saturday, August 30, 2008

Note on Sunday Morning...

Good morning:
It is Sunday morning at 6:00 a.m. and I thought that I would drop a note before the day begins for me. We had a great day yesterday. I FINALLY found out which department I will be traching in - the Medical College !!! Can you believe that? I will be teaching the Freshmen as well as the Sophmores and I will teach them English reading and English listening. I met with "Mr. Chen" and he told me what days I will teach and gave me 4 textbooks to use. I have a funny schedule - they call the weeks "odd" weeks and "even" weeks. I teach the Freshmen on the "odd" weeks and the Sophomores on the "even" weeks. I don't even get to teach the Freshmen until the week of September 22, as they are on some type of military deal.
Yesterday Rog and I, and one of the single ladies went to the cafeteria here in our building - what an experience...It looked like a place from an old German movie - very institutional. They had old silver sectioned trays, chopsticks, and lots of white, sticky rice. I really do not know what we ate - some sort of cucumber/pepper mix (Rog hated!) and some other tasty tidbit. Needless to say - we did not eat much. We did have to buy a meal card before we could eat and I have promised to take all the other teachers to lunch on that card some day - my treat! We also went on a tour of Qingdo city - it was a Mini tour - this place is huge. We went to #1 beach and #2 beach also to Guanhaishah Park and walked up a big hill and on the top was a pagoda. At the top we could see for miles over the landscape as well as the Yellow Sea. It was gorgeous. We had a great walk and it was a little overcast and the weather was so pleasant. We did not take the camera - but our friends took some pictures and we will them as soon as we can.
Then, last night our friends from Oceans University came over and we walked - in the rain - to a German restaturant and had dinner. As you know, China was given to the Germans when the Treaty of Versalle was signed after WWII. It was good. We walked in the rain and it was great - all with our umbrellas. On the way to the restaurant, we walked thru the outside fruit and vegetable market.... It looked just like something in the movies. The sights and smells were something else. I HAVE to go back there and take my camera because I could never ever describe it to you.
As you can see - we are having some great, educational experiences!!! We are loving it and learning so much.
We miss our children and grandchildren and our Cove ward family - but we know we are supposed to be here at this time.
Love - Jane

No comments: