Sunday, September 14, 2008

Living the Good Life in China

I had class all morning and when I got home we went to the cafeteria (I will take mycamera there tomorrow to show you the upper class dining area!) After that we just came back to the apartment and did nothing. Then, wed ecided to go and find the post office on the campus and the adventure began....We could hear the little Freshmen doing their training in the football arena, so we decided to head over there. We noticed that there was something going on inside a big enclosed area and our curiosity gotthe best of us, so we wandered inside. There were alot of authorized personnel going in and out of the building, so we just walked right onin. There were huge sound equipment vans and buses,a television crew,and an orchestra assembling outside the building . We all acted likewe belonged there too. Well......they were doing a dress rehearsalfor the closing ceremonies of the Paraolympics !!!!! We stayed for about an hour and the dignitaries kept smiling at us and nodding atus!! I guess they figured we should be there too ! All the technical crew and equipment was being assembled and we were right therewatching all the goings on. However, we never found anyone that understood English, so we could find out if this was the only dress rehearsal, or if there would be more action tomorrow night. Guess where we are going tomorrow afternoon/evening? We are getting very brave and brazen in this China adventure.I had another 2 new classes today and they were SO cute. I just lovethem. They are so curious about the Good Old USA and I love tellingthem about her. Another round of unusual, strange, funny new English names they have given themselves. If I find any name that is highlyunusual or funny, I will email them to you tomorrow.
Oh Lesa, I have been meaning to tell you about a very unusual thing the Chinese do that will really amuse you...When we were at the outdoor "Grungy Grub" we saw a Chinese fellow sit down to his dinner and, of course I had to see what it was he was eating. He had a big plate of noodles BUT she served him a small side dish of fresh garlic cloves. He would take a bite of the noodles and then pop a fresh garlic clove in his mouth and eat away. I ask my students about itand they said that it was a common thing to do. THAT is why they always have such stinky breath..... I know how you love that fresh garlic smell..Well, tomorrow will be another adventure. I will report. All our loves, Mom and Dad

1 comment:

erikhalladay1 said...

We just read the new news. We are hoping this is how you reply. Everyone is asking about you at church again. That sounds exciting that you wondered in on that event happenings. Andie wants to say hi... "How are you" "I love you and Grandpa" "Where are you going to be on my Birthday?" "I better go to bed now and have my mom read me a story" "Bye" love Andie.
Let us know if you are getting these notes. We love you.
Erik Michelle and Kids