Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shopping in Jimo‏

Dear Ones:
Yesterday afternoon we went to Jim Market to shop. My, my, my.... What a day and what sights to behold. We went into "Old China" to a neat little fabric shop and it was quite a trip to get there. We went here and there and wound round and around getting there and the sights, smells and sounds were remarkable. People doing everything you can imagine. There are people that go through all the garbage cans looking for food, and especially looking for anything plastic. China recycles plastic and therefore, pays people to recycle. I love putting any plastic in the garbage cans, because I know that someone will make a few yuan to eat from my plastic. If I see someone that is ready to rummage through the trash, I hand them my empty bottle and they are so appreciative. Imagine that? Kinda sad. Isn't it? We are so very fortunate in the good old USA. We have so very much and really do take our good life for granted. I thank my Heavenly Father every night for the many many blessings I enjoy and living here really makes me appreciate all I have been given.
All the vendors were on the street as we walked and they cook everything you can even think of. They take small crabapples and put them on a small stick and put some red, sticky, slightly sweet "stuff" on them and sell them on the street. Everyone eats them but the Americans. And hotdogs.... they love them on a stick or just to grab one and eat it - hot or cold. And, we see all the ladies, especially the Grandmas, eating a whole cucumber as they walk down the street. Yesterday they had this small grill type thing that had little indentations on it and they were selling these small eggs on a skewer type thing( one of the ladies said they were quail eggs!) they cook them and sell them as little round balls that are connected, to eat hot as you shop. They are about 1 inch round each when cooked and there are about 6-8 per shewer. They were selling dried, fresh fish ( can you even imagine the smell?) Shrimp and this ground up, fish gut stuff that everyone loves. Oh, and they serve all this "street food" in the thinnest plastic bags I have ever seen! I would venture to say that we passed, at least, 350 food vendors in about 20 minutes. Oh, and they love tofu - especially cooked. But, the smell could gag you - you cannot hold your breath long enough to not smell it as you pass!
But - there are just as many good smells as you walk by the food vendors... It is very tempting not to try some of the better smelling, better looking food, BUT we have been warned not to eat "off the street".
Anyway, we travelled to the little fabric shop. It was amazing. The silk is the most gorgeous I have ever beheld.. And the colors are brilliant. I took a skirt to show the taylor what I wanted and to buy fabric to make. The sales ladies, in the fabric shop, tell you how much material you will need! There are NO patterns - just pictures to look at....There were 3 of us who wanted things made and as we were making our fabric selections, the taylor arrived. He had a little tablet and his measuring tape. He is one of those little men who have one eye that looks one way, and the other eye, looks the opposite way!!! This made me somewhat apprehensive about his sewing ability! I would guess that we were in that little shop for a good 2 hours, and we had Rog with us!!! Now, anyone who knows Rog, knows of his extreme patience...I must say - he was great and very patient!!! He took a pair or shorts that had a ripped pocket and a lady mended them right on the spot for him, with a very ancient looking sewing machine that worked like a charm.
Then, we were on our way... We went into the main Jimo market - my favorite spot to shop in China, I might add. Rog wanted to buy a couple of ties and we (the 3 ladies) let him wander for his ties. He bought 2 ties, 100% silk, for $1.50 each, American money!
Unbelieveable. We passed our little "Pearl Lady" and waved. All us ladies are planning on a day at Jimo market WITHOUT the men soon. The men have been very patient with us women at the Jimo market, but we know their limits and we all agreed, as did the men, that the next time we go to Jimo market, the women will go alone...:) :) :)
Then, to top the day off, we headed home about Quitting Time, on a very crowded bus. It took us about 45 minutes to get home and we were all so very tired. The heat and humidity is so hard on us fat Americans. Our little humble apartment is a haven.
Oh, I almost forgot.... I got a little surprise from our travels yesterday.. I bought a beautiful long,silk wall hanging - which has been painted on. It is gorgeous and will look lovely in my home in Cedar City. It has a Chinese saying on it and some flowers and butterflies and signed by the artist. Natalie will love it.
Well, the travel log is finished for the day. Today will be uneventful, I fear. We have lesson plans to prepare. It is not all just fun here. We really do teach school and love it. Our students are the very best that China has to offer and we are learning to love them.
Both of us are having them fill out information sheets about themselves and attach a photo. These we will cherish. They have woven themselves into our hearts already.
We love and miss our family and such dear friends as we are priviledged to have.
Thank you for all the prayers in our behalf - we feel of your strength.
Rog snd Jane

1 comment:

erikhalladay1 said...

I love to read these. Its like our very own chapter book, unfolding each day something unexpected and exciting, yet we know the characters personally. Can't wait to hear more tomorrow. love Michelle