Sunday, September 28, 2008

Jimo to Pick Up Clothing from the Tailor!‏

Disclaimer - these next few posts are a little out of order - but at least gives you an idea of what Rog and Jane have been up to lately! - Lesa

Hello everyone:
I will try again today to send the email I tried 3 times to send yesterday - our internet was on the blink again.
Yesteray morning I had no classes, so I headed to Jimo Market to pick up my skirt I had the tailor make. There are pictures to be attached to this email and you can see what I saw! You will see the little tailor and his wife, as well as other things... I never, in my wildest dreams, could have ever imagined such a place. As we walked it his little (and I mean little!) shop, we passed many vendors on the street selling their wares. There was even a pet chicken along the street, who turned his head just as I snapped the camera. The street has SO MUCH to see. People use the street for everything even as a bathroom - yes, right on the sidewalks.......
You always have to watch your step in China! The tailors shop is something right out of a very old horror movie... I tried to capture the feel of the place on camera - but it was impossible. There is no way I could ever describe or even show you the place - you had to be there and we even had to pinch ourselves to realize we were even there! What is a sheltered, small town, Cedar City girl doing here in China???
We also went back to visit the Pearl Lady and spent 2 hours with her. One of the China Teachers had a 3 strand pearl necklace made of dark blackish-brown pearls to match her new outfit. We watched as the Pearl Lady double knotted each pearl and strung them together. It was fascinating and turned out just beautiful. I, of course, bought me more pearls! I bought some gorgeous pink ones, as well as some dark blackish ones and also a bright red coral necklace. Yes, I will continue to buy pearls to bring home...
The weather has turned cooler and feels like Fall. I miss beautiful Cedar mountain and the colors at this time of year. I have been thinking of my beautiful red silver leaf maple tree in my back yard in Cedar City. How I miss seeing it change color as well as the brilliant yellows of the quaken aspen trees.
Today I only had one class and I have washed bedding all day.It is in the living room, over the portable drying rack. I miss my clothes line in Cedar as well...
We received a much appreciated "care" package that Lesa sent to us with a guy, from Provo. It was great... Thanks dear Lesa. You are so loved and appreciated. The things you sent were items that were needed. Now we may "last" until Lesa and Darren come to China in the Spring.
Well, I will close for now... we are going to the "Municipal Government" dinner in a few minutes, and I must get gussied up.
I will report on the dinner later.
XOXOXOXO Mom

No comments: