Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Day Out on the Town!

We have had a great day, again. We went with the teachers from Oceans University to a little shopping market in "the real China". I am sending photos tonight and then some more tomotrrow. The place is called Jimo and there is just about anything you could ever want or wish for there. I am sure that I wandered thru there with my mouth open! It was spectaular and the people are so interesting.
They had a taylor shop where the lady will make any type of dress or suit you could wish for. The fabric selection is so vast and the buttons are arrayed by the hundreds. I tried to take a picture, but they turned out fuzzy. I am sure that I will go back there tho - it is the place where the English speaking "Pearl Lady" has her little shop. We stopped to chat with her and I walked away with a pretty strand of pearls. It was so very hot and humid and I stopped and got a pretty Chinese fan also.
On the bus ride home (the busses are another scarey story, I will relate later!) we decided to stop at the local Carefree store and walk home, because my friend, Nona, wanted to go back to an interesting little area to shop. I know we walked at least 5 miles in the extreme heat. I am sending photos of those little shops also... WOW - they sell fried Duck heads and fried chicken feet.... Unbelieveable.......I took a picture of the fried chicken feet and also some of the exotic live fish for sale to take home and cook up, along with the squirming, fresh grubs.
I finally got our apartment all cleaned up, so that I can send you some photos tomorrow or the next day. Tonight, when I was washing clothes, the Branch President came by the apartment.He had to step over the drain hose that leads from the washing machine,to the bathroom. And I wasn't even embarassed! This is how we live now... Kinda funny. Sure makes me appreciate what I have at home in Cedar City. We take so much for granted in the United States.
The Chinese people are so wonderful. They are always watching us and waiting for us to nod to them or smile at them. They always get off their seats and offer them to us on the bus . Today I saw a little mother nursing her baby when I went into the market, and as I was leaving the market, the grandma was holding the baby. I ask her if I could take her picture and she was so proud of that baby - just like Grandma's are all over the world.
I must go for now, hopefully I will hear from you soon.
Much Love, Mom/Jane



No comments: