Monday, November 17, 2008

WHAT a Week!!!!

Dear Family and Friends:
What a week last week was!!!!! I am sure that I will never forget some of the special thoughts and feelings I had....
Wednesday night, November 12, four of "my boys" from one of ,my classes called and wanted me to meet them at Library so they could come over and visit. They have been texting me for the last two weeks asking to come over and I felt that they really wanted to come. Jack Sparrow, Jack, Alan and Windy arrived about 8:30 p.m. They had a little gift for me, all wrapped and pretty. However, they were so excited for me to open it, they told me what it was, before I could open it!!!!! It was a very useful pencil holder. I know what a sacrifice this little gift must have been for them and I feel very honored to be the recipient of such a gift! They were so cute and so anxious for my approval and acceptance of them. The Chinese are very curious to see our living arrangements and they just sit and look around. They wanted to speak English, so I brought out my flash cards with phonics and we had a good time. They love the "one on one" interaction and I love to have them here. After they left, "Jack' texted me thanking me for the time spent with them and telling me to have a good nights sleep. He calls me "'my dear Hallday- so tender.
Ray and Maryann Andrus were here for four days on their tour of China for BYU and the Kennedy Center. We had a great time with them. Maryann had planned a trip to the Jimo pearl market with Marvin Wu and Ray couldn't go, so she invited me to go in his stead. Lucky me!!!!!!
Saturday, November 15, 2008 will be a day that I will always cherish as one of the spiritual feasts in my life. We witnessed a "first" in the Qingdao Branch of the Church, a monumental occasion. I feel so honored to have been here to witness the happenings. In our Branch there are 45 members - 12 of those being BYU English Teachers, the rest of the members are Korean. With the exception of "Shelly" who is Chinese and married to "Peter" who is Korean. Shelly has not been a member since we have been here, just an investigator. She listened to General Conference in October and heard the Prophet of the Lord, and the Spirit touched her heart. Saturday was the result... What a day. It was a "first" in Qingdao, and to realize that we witnessed such an occasion is very humbling. I will never forget that day and the feelings I had. The Spirit was very strong and there is a new closenesss and love in our little Branch. We have all been witnesses to something very unusual and historical. How blessed we all feel. What a privilege to be in China and especially in Qingdao at this time. I know we are here for something special and the Spirit whispers little reminders at times like this. What did I do to deserve such blessings as this? Such huge blessings......
Today, which is Monday, November 17th it is SO cold... I haven't been able to get warm all day long. And, with no heat yet, it is impossible. Thank the Lord, we have a little space heater. I must remember to thank my Father for the small things. It could be worse, I keep telling myself.
Please know of our love for all of you. We are so thankful at this beautiful season of the year for our many blessings. We have so very much. We thank our Father daily for the rich blessings he bestows on us. You are among those rich blessings. You mean the world to us.
All our love,
Mom

1 comment:

erikhalladay1 said...

I am so behind on reading. I so glad to have a minute today. Your words and stories are so sweet. I cry and cry with every entry. What blessings we all have. We love you both so much. These students will always remember you.

-Michelle