Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hello from China

Dear Family and Friends,
Just a short note tonight. We heard a couple of hours ago that the 2008 Presidential election is over and we have a new President of the USA, Barrack Obama! What a disappointment to us. We are not so happy with the outcome here in China. In my classes this week, we have been explaining how the voting procedures go and all about the popular vote count vs. the electoral vote count. I have shown a map of the USA with the number of each states electoral votes and they had the chance to cast their own vote. It was very interesting to the Chinese students.
It has been very smoggy here for the past two days and makes it hard to breathe. It looks very eerie outside, especially in the mornings when we walk to class. It hasn't been as cold though. We keep hearing that it will be very cold soon.
One of the English teachers lost his father 2 weeks ago and had to go to the US for the funeral, so we have been teaching his classes for him. We just learned yesterday that he will not return to China until February...... The International Office emailed us and ask us if we would consider teaching the extra classes until the first week in January ! ! My first thought was to tell them a flat out "no". But.....the students would suffer and their classes in English would all be dropped for this semester. So.. you guessed - we will teach the extra classes until finals are over this semester. This means that Rog will NOT have a day off during the week and I will have limited time off. My luxurious 5 days off, every other week, will not happen either! Oh well . . we figure this is all part of our "China experience". And, the students are the most important thing here.
I met with two of "my boys" yesterday and they want to come to our apartment to speak English, to study for a huge test they are required to take. They are so worried that they will not be able to speak well for the test. I told them they are welcome to come over to "practice" whenever they have the time. They are so cute and so very concerned. All the Chinese students are focused on their studies and want to do well in their classes. It is so refreshing. I love them all so very much and I can see a change in them. They all look me in the eye now and do not duck their head when I speak directly to them. I feel they have come a long way from the first time I met them. And... they actually wait for me to acknowledge them, pat them, touch them or hug them. And, I wish you could all see their faces - they actually smile a big wide smile at me. I feel so very honored and loved by them. How blessed I am. I feel like the luckiest person in the world, because of the experiences and feelings I am experiencing here in China. THEY ARE SO VERY DEAR TO ME. How I love them and look forward to seeing them each week. If I didn't have them, I would be so lonesome and homesick.
Heavenly Father just knew how lonesome I would be and I am sure that is why He sent me such special, loving students.
I will close for now and write more tomorrow.
Please know that I love you all and miss you. Especially the grandchildren...
All my love,
Mom

1 comment:

Adam and Dantzelle said...

Your Halloween looks like so much fun!!! And I LOVE your costumes! You are so wonderful and such an inspiration. We are so happy that you are here in China and that we are here at the same time!! We love our Branch family. Thank you for being so great!