Sunday, November 23, 2008

More visitors!‏

Hello Everyone:
Thought that I should start the week right, by writing to the blog site,before things get hectic. We only teach 3 days this next week, as we will leave at 5:00 a.m. Thanksgiving morning to fly to Beijing for a long weekend. It will keep my mind off the family I will miss so much !
This past week has been a good one with many students visiting our little humble apartment here in Qingdao... They really brighten our days and keep us happy. They are so interested in the American way of life and so interested in our family and customs. The love and respect they show us is delightful. They treat us like royalty and value everything we say. It is so refreshing.
On Saturday we arose early and caught the bus to Jimo market on a mission to purchase pearls for Maradell Brown. We had quite a list of items that made the Pearl Lady very happy. We spent 4 hours there and then on to the grocery store. At 6:00 p.m. six of my male students - Jim, Randall, Windy, Michael Williams, Kid and Miller arrived. They were so excited when I served them peanut butter and honey sandwichs. By the way, they loved them! We talked of many things - mainly about them. They each told me their Chinese name, as well as their American name and why they each picked the American name they have. They showed us on a map, where their families live in China, as well as detalis about their families. It was so interesting and informative for us. Jims parents are both Doctors and Michaels father is a coal miner and his mother works in a sewing factory. Kid told us that his mother has always hand made all his clothing until the past year - his father is a laborer. Millers mother is a farmer. They are so proud of their families and talk so tender about them. They do not want to disappoint the family. They are all very anxious to be Doctors and support their parents. They are all the only child in their family, except Windy who has an older sister. There were two highlights of the evening. The first was when Miller sang a song for me and demonstrated Kung Foo. Then all the boys sang a song together - it was so sweet. But, the most memorable thing, was when I tried to teach them to wink! I tried to explain when someone tricks you, or jokes with you and they wink at you, you know they are kidding. I don't think that Miller ever understood about the kidding and the wink!!!! But, I laughed myself sick when they tried to wink. They tried so hard, and every time I would look at one of them, they would say something silly and wink. What a great evening. One I will never forget....
Today at church we had the primary program. I sat and cried through the entire thing ! ! ! ! We only have seven children in our little Branch Primary but, I have never heard such singing....I wish the program could have been recorded, such sweet, strong little voices. Not a shy one in the group! And, each child sang a solo. The Spirit was very strong and as I sat there, I thought about the dear Chinese and Korean people who I have grown to love so much. We are all Gods children and he loves us so much, no matter what our circumstances in life are. I can honestly say that I love these people as I love my own family. How am I ever going to leave them??????
Tomorrow promises to be another busy day. I have a student, Liz, coming home with me after class for lunch and shopping for yarn. Yes, I am wanting to crochet and I haven't been able to locate yarn. But I have heard that there are some little outdoor markets where some yarn may be located nearby. And, tomorrow night , I have another 6-8 boys coming over to chat. Such a life I lead....... I love it.
Must close for now - the students are all starting to text me to tell me goodnight and wish me pleasent dreams.
My dreams will be of you, my dear family and how I love each of you.
Much Love,
Mom

No comments: