Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween


Dear Family,
Just a recap of our Halloween celebration last night! All of the BYU teachers and other teachers in our building had a great Halloween party planned - but the list of those we invited, just kept growing. We ask the International Office if there was a room we could hold our party in and they said there was nothing. But our little friend Fang Fang ( pronounced Fong Fong!) arranged for us to use the cafeteria in our building! She made arrangements for us to use a portion of the cafeteria but we had to vacate the place by 7:00 p.m.
I dressesd as a witch and Rog even donned a costume.... (Pictures attached) I made the traditional goulash, which the Chinese LOVED. We had sloppy joes, salad, vegetables and other good things to eat. Everyone looked so cute and we sure did have fun. We were out of the cafeteria by 7:00 p.m. as promised. Our little friend Ariel came, as did Song and Jenny, as well as Leon. While at the party, my phone kept ringing - my students, wanting to come over and see me in my costume. Oliver, Judy and Leiu Chang (male) came over first and they were so cute. By the way, the Chinese always bring a gift when they come over to visit - they brought grapes and bananas. We decided to start a movie and the phone rang again and it was 7 girls that wanted to drop by. They brought several cute little gifts - a good luck charm, a large grapefruit looking thing, another charm, a plant, and one of them had made me 3 flowers out of beautiful paper. They are so cute and they look at me so adoringly and treat me and Rog like we are royalty. They movie was going, and the phone rang again and it was 2 more girls.... they came up and we watched the movie. Then, we sat and talked for about an hour. They left at 10:45 p.m. and we loved every minute they were here. What a fun time we had. They are so sweet and I had several other students that text messaged me from other classes wanting to come - but it was too late. For some reason several of my classes thought that I was having a Halloween party last
night! ! ! ! ! Now I have to have another party, for those that missed last night
All the Chinese tried on all the costumes we had and they all wanted to have their pictures taken in the costumes. They are so cute. You will see on the attached photos.
It was a great evening. We really enjoyed ourselves, and we think the kids did too. They have emailed and sent text messages to me today and they are already wanting another "party". They want to talk English and play English games. But, I have so many students, I am not quite sure how I can handle it. We are talking 550 students. Any suggestions? Maybe just do one class at a time, BUT some of the classes are 70 students!
The looks on their faces were priceless. They are so dear to me and I can honestly say that I love them. They have become so very important in my life. They are my family here in China and I can hardly wait for class every week. They have so few exciting things in their lives. They have classes every day and they start early and stay late and study so much. And school is expected of them. No one can get married until they have graduated. And everyone goes to school and HAS to do well. I really admire them. So easy to love and my approval is so important to them...
Today was District Conference and Rog had to talk. He gave a great talk on his conversion. It was very touching and everyone thought he did well..... He did.
President Toronto spoke as did Brother Bayles. Brother Bayles is a relative of Brad Guymon in Cedar City - what a small world it is. It never ceases to amaze me that I can go across the world and meet people that know people that I know.. and it is not just concidence... I am sure...
I am a different person - I still look the same and in may ways, act the same. But, I have changed for the better because of my experiences here in this wonderful country. I can honestly say that I love it here and you all know that I love my students. I have started looking at things differently and realizing that some things I always thought were so important, really are not....And, there are some things that I never realized were so important. I will be a much better person because of my Chinese family.
How blessed I am....
Please know of my love for all of you.
Much Love,
Mom

1 comment:

erikhalladay1 said...

How are you? My mom had to talk too and my dad had too doo itoo.
i luv you luv andie