Monday, October 27, 2008

Weekend at Confucius' Hometown, Temples and Cemeterys


Dear Family;
Just returned home last night late, from a great weekend. We went to Qufu - the birth and death place of Confucius and also to Mount Tai. We started the weekend early Saturday morning and traveled 61//2 hours to the city of Qufu.
In the city of Qufu, we visited the Confucius temples first - there were 13 of them. They were awesome! Most of the structures are 2,500 years old and there was a very special, spirit there. What a man Confucius was... So many of the sayings we use today, came from him. During the reign of Mao, so much was destroyed, therefore many of the writings of Confucius were buried or entombed. They have some of the original rock "slabs" or books displayed today. There was a very sacred feeling present. The sights were remarkable and we really enjoyed ourselves. I will send pictures. Then we went to the family cemetery, it has a rich history and it was very interesting. Those burial mounds are interesting and there are so many in that cemetery. From what the guide told us, even now, the descendants of Confucius can be buried in that same cemetery. From what the guide told us, Confucius actually had 13 sites or plots for burial. The reason being, there were many people that wanted him dead and wanted his wealth. The story tells of those who tried to make sure that Confucius actually was dead and proceeded to start digging up the sites. Confucius had predicted that the ones that tried to find his remains would be cursed and die. As the story goes, after the 12th grave had been dug up, and all the grave robbers died, the final site, being the 13th one was never dug up. However, a faithful servant watched the gravesite for 7 years to make sure that no one disturbed the site! Confucius only had one son and that son died before Confucius died. But he did leave an heir. It was all so interesting.
After the tour, we went to the city of Tai'an for the night. It was another memorable night in China! After arriving at the hotel, we were getting ready for bed and I happened to walk into the bathroom and I could not believe my eyes! It was a very small room with a vanity, toilet and the shower - no tub or surrounding - just the shower head and drain in the floor! I could not believe my eyes..But that was not all.....I have slept on some pretty hard beds in China, but that bed beat them all!!!! When I went to bed I could NOT get comfortable, no matter which position I moved. I actually felt bruised when I got up the next morning! Oh, and the next morning, as I proceeded to turn the shower on, it sprayed my hair down and wet the entire room as well. And, to add insult to injury, as I was putting on my makeup,the electricity went out....Needless to say, I just sat on the bed - or board, and laughed!!! It was so comical. China really does change people, for the better. You must learn patience and remember to take a deep breath.
In training, at BYU, they told us repeatedly, not to try to change China, that China would change us. How right they were!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We then boarded the bus once again and went to the base of Mount Tai. At the base, we boarded the tram and rode up the mountainside. Then, we had to walk about 2,000 steps, taking us 45 minutes, to get to the top of the mountain!!!! Have you ever walked that many stairs at a time????? I honestly have NEVER thought it was something I could possibly ever do. Guess what? I did it......The steps in China are all little, tiny, uneven steps that go straight up. You will see in the photos we are sending. I am so proud of myself. Now, I am capable of the StairMaster... Watch out Cedar City when I get home.... Once we got to the top, we had to get back down... Scarey! But, I survived.... I am so proud of myself. And, the view was breathtaking. Like NOTHING I have ever seen. Then, we came home....
What a weekend... One we will never forget. I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that I would ever go the places I have been or done the things I have done. Places I have heard about, but never thought that I would get the chance to see. How very blessed I am. What experiences.
The Chinese people are so genuine and loving. I can honestly that I will never be the same again, they have changed this old gal. They are such a gracious, loving, meek race and I truly love them. We never feel fear here, always so safe and protected. Foreigners (Americans) are treated like royalty - at least the BYU teachers are!
Will write more tomorrow or the next day.
Much Love, Mom

No comments: