Monday, October 13, 2008

My Freshmen Classes‏

Hello from China:
Today was a beautiful day and I had a most wonderful time in the classroom! I taught my 2 favorite classes today. They are awesome and so very lovable. I just seem to "connect" with these 2 groups, especially my 8:00 a.m. class. They are so respectful to me and they literally cling to every word I say. They are sitting on the edge of their seats when I walk into the classroom and they even raise their hands and ask or answer questions! NOTE: Most of the Chinese students do not volunteer to answer any questions or they never raise their hands to answer a question. I hear that the Chinese teachers are always putting them down and do everything possible to belittle them. Six of the boys in that class are playing a basketball game on Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. and they invited me to attend the game. They were so proud to think that I would even consider coming to watch! And, a girl in the 10:00 class taught me how to cut out a cute Chinese paper character. Then, after class, the same girl gave me a present! She brought me a really nice book telling about the Chinese zodiac animals - she said that they made the book in her home town. I thought it was so nice of her to do that.
After class, we went to a really dumpy "Canteen" to eat lunch. The food was reasonably good, BUT as we walked out of the place, we saw the open door of the kitchen and about threw up! It was so filthy... And, there was a guy sitting outside stringing meat on skewers with his dirty hands. Luckily, none of us had ordered skewers! And, the cook just happened to walk out for a smoke and his clothes were so filthy, greasy and gross!!! You never know in China...
Rog and I headed to the market after the lunch experience and we had a good time. We had to go to the bank and get some money for our little trip to the birthplace of Confucius. We also needed some groceries. It is such an experience every time we get on the bus or ride the taxi. We never know what will happen. As with everything here - things ARE NOT what they appear to be!!!!!!
We have been busy getting lessons ready for tomorrow and Family Home Evening. I think that we will listen to "Jesus the Christ" tonight...Someone left the CD's here in our apartment and we started to listen to them last night and they are very good.
I am sending the photo's of the two classes today - my little sweethearts. Tell me what you think. They are so sweet and I love them so very much.
It was good to talk to Chad and his family this morning on Skype - it is the first time we have been able to see them at their home on Skype. It was so fun to see the little boys -Deken with this black eye and fat lip, as a result of him climbing out of his crib!!! And Rennen was so sweet. I cannot believe how much our little "Jack Mac" has grown and how well he talks. He always speaks so cute to us on Skype. And Marin - sweet, as always. It was good to see Erik and family too. Andy was busy showing us the art she was doing. We feel so very blessed to be able to see all of you on Skype and to live in a day when it is possible. It really helps with the homesickness. And yes, we are homesick for all of you.
We realize how blessed we are to have such a loving, caring family and we want you all to know of our love for you. We miss you more than words can describe. Even the mention of your names brings tears to our eyes, but we know that we are supposed to be in China now. These dear people have shown us such love and acceptance and we do love them. They are so kind and never judge, accepting of everyone and everything. They have never had much materially and therefore, they expect nothing, but they are so grateful for even a kind word or glance.
Think of you all the time and you are all in our prayers...
Much Love,
Mom

No comments: