Saturday, October 18, 2008

Our Wedding Day

Dear Family,
Just a short note tonight to tell you about our "wedding" today. Yes, we were married for the third time today, on the beach, in Qingdao China! The Foreign Teachers Office has been telling us that we were invited to our wedding on the beach , but we thought that they were just kidding. We were informed 2 days ago that the ceremony would be this morning at 10:00 a.m. We were told that we were to wear our "Sunday best" and be in the lobby at 8:25 a.m.
We were then taken to a gorgeous German building, on the beach, in one of the most frightening taxi rides yet!!! (As we approached the beach, the taxi driver made a sudden left turn and whip lashed us all, scaring us to death !) I thought that we were going to meet our Maker.
Then, we were literally "railroaded" into a room and listened to a little Chinese woman tell us what we were supposed to do and how to act. She was very comical to watch. All the proceedings were held on the beach, in all the sand, and us in our Sunday best! There were several Chinese dignitaries and several military couples, as well as 3 police couples. We then walked to the beach and there was a variety show going on with dancers, kung foo demonstrations, juggling acts, a young boys dance group and some older women did a little show with a ball and a paddle. We were held in the background to watch, until our "time" to go to center stage. The Governor gave a speech welcoming everyone and it went along with all the pomp and ceremony, as only the Chinese can do. When our "time" came, we were ushered to center stage,and the women were handed a bouquet of silk flowers and the ceremony was read and then they sprayed confetti in the air. The Governor then handed us all an offical marriage certificate and we had to jump off the stage and march on the sand and all hold hands and jog in a big circle. It was really something I will never forget - very cheesy. But, the Chinese make us foreigners feel like royalty, they shove their own people out of the way for us and give us the best of everything they have! I am sure that there are those that resent us.
After the big "to do" on the beach we went, in a van, to a fancy hotel for a banquet. The food and the facility were great . The food was very Chinese, with the entire chicken served, including the chicken head, complete with eyes and beak. - not forgetting those attached fried chicken feet , complete with the claws. A real delicacy...Also, a "real" crowd pleaser, (especially among the Americans) shrimp - in the shell, complete with tenacles and eyes...
After the banquet, we were all given a special bag for each couple that included a new night t-shirt for him and her, as well as a very ugly commerative plate - complete with a stand, a book on Qingdao - written in all Chinese (something we all can use!) and last, but certainly not least, a single bed sheet set. Isn't that wonderful?
Oh - one thing I forgot to mention. Before we left the beach, all the Qingdao BYU grooms, knelt in the sand, by their brides and gave us each a huge wedding diamond.........Apparently.last night, when we were all shopping in Taidong,at the night market, they somehow hid away and purchased the "rocks". Aren't they sly? Can't wait to show everyone my big ring...
All in all, it was a great day. After the big wedding,. I came home and two of my girl students came over and visited for about an hour - Holly and Sarah. Such dolls... They brought me a little gift - a Mickey Mouse picture frame. They are so thoughtful. And, my little Vivian called me tonight to invite me to lunch at her home, here in Qingdao. She spoke with her family and they all want to meet me - they all think it is so unusual to know and speak to an American...It makes me feel very humble and flattered. I know that I need to really set a good example for our country, as well as the church.
I know, for a fact, that these Chinese students are the future of China and that I am very priviledged to associate with them and know them. They are very exceptional and valiant. I cannot help but love , respect and admire them. How fortunate I am to be in China at this time in my life. I thank my Heavenly Father every night for this opportunity.
I will write more tomorrow and try to send some of the wedding photos.
Oh - almost forgot to tell you... Rog and I were interviewed by the largest Qingdao newspaper today,because we had been married the longest of any of the couples there today! They took several photos of us and ask us alot of questions... We may be featured in the newspaper...
All our loves,
Mom

1 comment:

ccburrs said...

Sounds like you are having a blast. I thought you were emailing everyone not blogging.... Just got your blog add. Thirds times a charm ey... Congrats. Love seval I will keep in touch through this as I work on my own blog (one day)