Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Can Not Waiting!

Dear Family:
It has been a fun, interesting day. I did not have school today, but all us ladies met at our apartment for lunch and to watch the Relief Society session of General Conference. We also counted it as our monthly Visiting Teaching visits! Everyone else had to teach this morning, so I fixed the lunch. We really had a good time and I made a big batch of rice and we had a feast. We had so much fun that we decided we would do this monthly from now on...
Today was a milestone for me... I went and had my first haircut in China.!!! Now, those of you that know me, know what a big feat that would be for me. I was so frightened....
I telephoned our little Chinese friend, Ariel who speaks very good English, to go with me. The little guy who did the honors, really did a great job. He was so nervous to do the job and tried so hard to please me - please me he did!!!!! Michelle Heinz, watch out - he is awesome... He is a master with the scissors, and I have never seen anyone use them in such a manner as he did. He used no styling gel, no round brush and NO HAIRSPRAY... Can you imagine that ? And, he didn't cut it too short.... He passed the test. Now, Rog has had his hair "cut" 4 times since arriving in China - this was my "first".
I have been texting a couple of my students for the past couple of days. One, wants me to come to a basketball game he and several of his classmates will play in on Saturday and Sunday. The second one wants to borrow some of the BYU teachers DVD's to watch. He loves watching movies - but has none! We have many movies, and I want him to watch what he wants to watch. He is so appreciative that I would consent to lend movies to him. I have agreed to meet him in front of the library tomorrow afternoon. When we finalized the time and place I received a text message from him that reads, "sure that sound great. I cannot waiting". It took me several minutes to figure out what he was trying to say. By the way, his name is "Never". Another student wanted some information on student unions in the USA and I emailed several web sites to him and he wrote back to me and was so appreciative and sweet. I just love these kids.....
Tomorrow I meet "Never" at 12:30 and then we will catch the bus and go to Computer City and then on the Tai Dong to meet all the BYU teachers for dinner and to the big evening, outdoor market. The "deals" abound on those outdoor markets - especially at night. You can barter and pay just about anything you want to pay for just about anything you want to buy. However, the "pick pockets" abound at the outdoor, evening markets as well.
Saturday morning we have our wedding ceremony at the beach. The mayor and the government want us to get re-married and they will photograph us and we will be on the local news and in the local newswpaper. Yes, you read it right - we are getting married AGAIN. For some reason, that idea really amuses the Chinese! We will send photos. I did not get a new dress, however. Oh - and we will also be the guests of honor at a special banquet following the ceremony!!! I will report all the details tomorrow night. You just never know about these Chinese and what they will come up with.. It is NEVER boring, I will say that.
Much Love, Mom

No comments: