Tuesday, October 14, 2008

China Today

Hello:
What a day it has been in China! I have a little friend that waits for me every morning to walk to class with me! He is Chinese and we met him in our apartment building and now he feels like it is his duty to accompany me to class each morning...It seems that he "just happens" to be at the same spot every morning when I walk by, on my way to class.
He just wants to practice his English and he rants and raves every morning on the way to class. By the way, his name is Leon. It seems that the Chinese favor certain names that are easy for them to spell or say - names such as Leon, Jane, Mary, etc.
My morning class of Post Graduates went great. They are the first group of students that I taught here at Qingdao University, on my very first day of teaching... We had a great morning and we talked about Halloween and I explained about the traditions and all the fun we have on Halloween. We talked about the costumes and the "trick or treats". They really were excited as I sang the Halloween songs to them. I meet with them again on October 28 and I told them that we would do a "trick ot treat" that day and that I would come to class in a costume. Their eyes lit up and it was really something to see. I also told them that I would have treats in class that day BUT they would have to sing me a song, or do a little dance for me, or recite a little saying to me. They were as excited as any small child I have ever seen. Bear in mind that these are adults ranging in age from 19-25! So refreshing to me... Oh, and I took some PVC pipe with the corner fittings on, resembling a telephone, so they could hear themselves speak English. What fun ! ! ! ! They had a ball. We talked about branches of the government and the cabinet, judicial system, etc. and I explained what the Treasury was.... You should hear them attempt to say "Treasury". I had the hardest time trying NOT to laugh at the pronunciation. What a delight they are to me. After class, I received a text message from "Fern" and she said that she loved me and that I remind her of her grandmother. She said that she loves it when I walk by her and touch her and that I am her "treasury". Wow... Made me feel pretty special. These people, who have so very little in the way of material things, are so generous with their love and affection. I am being taught so much more than I could ever teach them. They are so accepting and kind and innocent. Also, in my Freshmen class of 75 students, a boy asked me if I liked the weather in Qingdao. I replied with a definite, "Yes". He then said," Mrs. Halladay you need to stay here forever - we love you and do not want you to go home". These things come from the heart and are unrehearsed. Melt my heart. Love, love, love.
After class, my friend, Oliver Twist ( yes, that is his English name he has chosen for himself!) stayed after class to discuss the pronunciation of the words "employee and employees". He was very confused as how to pronounce them and use them. I agree with him, some of the words in the English language are very hard to say and understand and define. He is the boy who told me, several weeks ago, his Grandfather had just passed away with cancer and his Grandmother passed away just 6 months ago. He was so emotional and cried in front of me - I felt so very helpless and unable to comfort him...
Rog didn't have classes this afternoon and he came to walk me home and as we walked home, we watched a man sweeping the Fall leaves off some hedges!!!!! Yes, you read that right! There are various people always sweeping one thing or another all over in China. Today took the cake though.
I feel so very blessed to live in the good old USA and have all the priviledges I have alway had. I take so much for granted and I am so selfish. When I see what these people survive on, here in China I am very humbled. You have maybe noticed in the pictures we send home, that I pretty much have 4-5 outfits - and I feel so picked on! And then I look at my students and what they wear and keep wearing and it really puts me in my place..And they are ALWAYS so hungry. They do not have access to a kitchen where they live, therefore, they eat at the cafeteria or buy food on the street to eat. That is why we always see people walking and eating from a plastic bag. It is my prayer that I never forget these people. I know that I will never be the same person I was before China! I also know that I will take a part of each one of my 550 students home to Cedar City with me - in my heart. This year will be a highlight in the life of Jane Halladay - I assure you all...
Please know of our love for you. We feel the prayers that are rendered in our behalf - thank you so very much.
Much Love,
Jane

No comments: