Saturday, December 27, 2008

What a ride - what a day!!!‏

Dear Family,
I haven't written in too long, but we have been so busy getting ready for final examinations that we have hardly had time to eat....
Last Sunday was the Christmas program in our little Branch and it was wonderful - the Spirit was unbelievable! But - Sunday morning, we woke up to snow! Snow in Qingdao is most unusual, the last time it snowed here was 7 years ago!!!!
Rog had to go to Church early and I did not notice the snow until about 10 minutes before time to go catch the bus. We decided that it would be a perfect day to call a taxi, so we went to the lobby to tell the doorman to call a taxi. By the way, the doorman does not speak a word of English, as I do not speak Chinese! I telephoned a student and had her ask him to call a taxi for us. He said that a taxi would NOT climb up the hill to our building in the snow... I must say that we DO NOT live on a hill BUT, everything goes crazy here with a little snow.
So, we ladies trudged down the "hill" to try to get a taxi. We had to go in two taxi's, as there were six of us. The first three of us got to the meeting with no problem, but the second three were "dumped" by their taxi driver - he refused to take them as far as the meeting house. They had to try to board a bus. To make a long story short, they were late for the meeting and had been given the "run around". They arrived all wet, late and frustrated.
After the beautiful Christmas meeting, we had a baptism. It was a sixteen year old Korean girl - Stella. It was very touching and the Spirit was there in abundance. However, it was still snowing....
After the baptism, we had a big lunch - leftover Korean food from the Christmas party the day before. It was wonderful. We have learned to love these Korean Saints and their children. They feel just like family to all of us and we love them so very much. And we are SO fortunate to have the two five month old babies.
They let me kiss them and they are such happy, beautiful, lovable little souls. I really miss not having my little grandchildren to hug and kiss and these little people have filled a big gap in my life. Even little "Rosie" came and sat on my lap and let me love her. She is a doll - about four years old and so darling. I will try to send a picture of her later.
As the day progressed, we decided that we needed to get home, as it was still snowing and starting to get dark outside. The wind was blowing and it was SO cold. I really thought that I was going to freeze to death. We walked to the bus stop and tried to get a cab - there were no cabs running - they were all afraid to get out and drive in that snow!!! I want to add that there are no snow tires in China! NO snow plows, not one snow shovel and no salt to melt the snow and ice...
We stood at that bus stop, with the snow blowing the coldest wind I have ever felt, and waited for a bus for about 15 minutes! I just knew that I was going to freeze to death...... But I didn't! When the bus finally came, it was packed with a mass of humanity. The windows were all frozen over and it was bitter cold in the bus. Of course, the buses have NO defrosters and NO HEAT.......A "ticket lady" kept wiping the front windshield off and every time we came to a traffic light, the driver wiped the window off. Of course, there are also NO window scrapers either.... And, we were freezing .
We drove very slowly and as we turned to get to the University, there was a traffic jam ahead. . . The bus ahead of us was sliding all over the road and "fish tailing" everywhere.
BUT, we did make it to the bus stop! The trip home from church that usually takes us 30-45 minutes, took us 2 and 1/2 hours!!!!!!
And after we got off the bus, we had to walk up the "hill" to our apartment in the snow. Of course, I have no snow shoes and I had on a skirt and slippery shoes and nylons. Rog had on dress shoes and he was sliding all over the sidewalk as well. We walked into the apartment looking just like wet rats and freezing cold. WHAT A DAY AND WHAT A BUS RIDE......
But, we have a beautiful little Christmas tree in our humble little abode, with presents under it. Our dear, sweet Lesa Noel has the true spirit of Christmas and sent us the "Twelve Days of Christmas" with gifts to unwrap daily until Christmas. What fun we have had, getting up every morning and unwrapping a gift!!!
Such fun for us. Thank you Lesa..
I will go for now - I have more to write in another email later.
Much Love,
Mom

No comments: