Sunday, December 7, 2008

China Times‏

Dear Family:
Another week has passed and we are still hanging in here. It has been a fast, uneventful week. We are getting ready for our "finals" and it is taking alot of our time and effort. We think we have it figured out. But you never know!!!!

I don't think that I have EVER been so cold, in my life. Thursday morning, as we started to school I was sure my face would freeze off....The winds blowing in from Siberia are treacherous. And when I bundle up for school and scurry to class, I see many of the students with just a sweater and flimsy jacket on to keep them warm. They all seem to have freezing, cold hands when I take their hands and greet them. I ask one girl if she had gloves, and she said, "no, but I have pockets!" If I were a millionaire, I would see that every student had a good warm coat, gloves and a scarf. It is no wonder that so many of them are sick and have a continual cold. . . .
Wednesday, we had to go downtown to add money to our bus passes and to get computer supplies. As we walked to closer to the big store, there were an abundance of people begging for handouts. I don't like to look at the beggars, I cannot resist them. I also know that the Chinese people are very proud, and to ask a stranger, especially an American, for a handout, goes against their culture. As we walked in to the store, Rog noticed a young mother with a baby - I did not see her. We finished our shopping, and as we walked to the bus stop - there she was! She was sitting on the cold cement, holding a little baby. She was eating an apple and trying to encourage the baby to suck on the apple. But, the baby was crying. It was the cry that "got to me". It was a frail, sick, sad little attempt at crying. The young mother then proceeded to try to nurse the baby, but it cried and cried. I also, cried and cried!!!!!! I leaned over to give her some money and Rog did too, as did Nona, our dear friend. It was a touching sight for us and one I will not forget. I have thought of them every day and wondered how they are doing and if the baby is well.

This week has also been a week of many student visits to our apartment. What joy they bring to our lives. Our life here would be pretty dull without those students! They are very special and they know of our love for them. We are their adopted grandparents and they show us much love and consideration. I dread the thought of leaving China - I grow more attached daily to the culture and the people. I love my dear family and I cannot express how much I love and miss them them BUT this experience is choice beyond words. How blessed we are to be living in China and teaching such special young people. I feel as if I have known many of them before, somewhere else....

It is very cold again to day and I have invited Jenny and Song for dinner. After dinner, I have another group coming to "play with me". By the way, when they telephone me, they ask if they can come and play with me!!!!!! So sweet and so innocent. They are the dearest people I have met and I love them so very much.

Please know of our love for you - every one of you! At this season of the year, I am especially lonesome for all of you and the Christmas traditions we share as a family. You are all missed.

Much much Love,
Mom

2 comments:

Alex Obering said...

Cute little people. It is hard to imagine a life like theirs. We have so many things here, not just materialistic things but freedoms that we take for granted! That is so cute that your student came to you to tell of her feelings for that boy.
It will be an amazing thing when the Gospel is finally there. I can't wait, and I bet you can't either!

Love ya- Michelle

Alex Obering said...

I bet you are freezing! We think we are freezing here, I can't imagine how cold it must be there. And at least we can get into a nice car to take us places, with heated seats(what a luxury!) Wal-mart has mittens two pair for a dollar, if you want me to send you some I would love to!!

Your Grand kids love you as well...they pray for your safety and that you'll be warm everyday!

That story of the Mother and baby made me cry...oh my heck that is so sad! I am glad you all helped her!!
Love ya-Michelle