Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wonderful Week!

Dear Family:

What a wonderful week we have had with Lesa and Kimber here to stay! It was great to show them our students and
our beautiful city of Qingdao. We enjoyed every minute they were here and it was a tearful day when they left us.
We both felt like we were in mourning.

Yesterday we had my Post Graduate girls over to visit - Doris, Vicky, Karen, Fern Heather and Susan. They are always
a joy to us and they took us to lunch to celebrate Mother's Day. We really hated them to spend their precious
money on lunch - but they were insistent. They are so concerned and loving to both of us and I am sure that our
friendship with them will last a lifetime.

Then, yesterday afternoon we went to watch my Sophomores do a dance competition! It was lucky for us - because
all the dancers were my students!!!! It is great to see them outside of the classroom and the learning environment.
They were all so happy to see us there and I took many pictures. As soon as we arrived at the arena, , they took us
right to the front of the area and sat us among the judges. They also asked us to help give out the awards to the
winners. By the way Lesa, I took pictures of Daniel and Henry for you. Daniel had a new haircut and he wore some
elaborate eye make-up!

I feel very emotional lately, knowing these are my last few months in Qingdao! I love these dear people and this
gorgeous city. I love the little girl at the "Yellow River", I love the sweet people on the buses and I love my dear
students best of all! They have been my proxy family for the past two years and I will miss them. I will miss
walking into the classroom and seeing 65-70 smiling faces waiting just for me. I will miss my dear little Li Yang
watching for me every morning, with a big smile on his face, waiting to carry my suitcase to class.
I will miss the friendly doorman in our building with his "Nin hou". I will miss my sweet little cleaning lady, who
rushes to me every day and gives me a big hug and kiss on the cheek. I will miss walking everywhere I go or
taking a bus, loaded with Chinese faces. I will miss the delicious fruits and vegetables and the authentic
Chinese food we have grown to love. I will miss my trips to "RT". I will especially miss my visits to my beloved
Jimo Liu market and the dear friends I have made there.

Many of the the people I have met and associated with, do not speak a word of English and you all know that I
do not speak Chinese! BUT we talk with our eyes, hands and a nod of our heads. I have learned that gestures
are an essential thing in a foreign country! And I have learned that we are ALL children of our Heavenly Father.
I never dreamed that I would fall hopelessly in love with the country and the people. I love the traditions and
the display of respect. I feel as if the students idolize us and revere us because we are Americans and especially
because we are old enough to be like grandparents to them.

From the moment I walked into my first class as a teacher of English in China I fell in love totally and forever. I had not planned for this to happen quite so instantaneously, like a mother seeing her new baby for the first time, only my “babies” came in hundreds and ranged in age from 18 to 25. Looking back I realize I had been preparing for this moment many years before it happened and it will be with me forever.


I love all of you and I am anxious to be home BUT I am sure that in August I will get real sad and think of China. Be patient with me - PLEASE.

Much Love,

Mom

No comments: