Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Time is Flying!!!

Dear Family:
I know that it has been a very long time since I wrote the Blog, BUT I have been so busy. There has been so much happening and I just hope that I can remember enough to give you a sketch of what has happened.

Did I tell you about the award the Medical Department awarded me? A student ask me to attend a closing program and brought me a nice invitation. He told me that we both had to attend and that there was a surprise for me. The night of the program, he met us at the door of the auditorium and I thought his class would be sitting together and we would sit with them. As we walked into the auditorium, a spotlight was on us and the audience stood up and cheered for us. We wondered what was happening....
There were about 2,000 people in attendance and I couldn't figure out what was happening. The program started and of course, we could not understand a word that was said! It was a talent show of sorts - as only the Chinese can perform. Half way into the program, one of my students leaned up to me and told me that I would be asked to go up on the stage. I told her " NO - I'm not going up on the stage". However, I was wrong . . . they announced several men which stood up and the audience clapped as they went up on the stage. Then, they said, "Mrs. Halladay, from the USA" and a student came and took my arm and led me to the stage. What a shock! Why were they taking me up on that stage????????????
Derek (my student) leaned over, as the Chinese were babbling on and on, and told me I was receiving an award from the Medical Department. All the award-ee's were handed a bouquet of fresh flowers and an official looking certificate. I was the first one awarded and they said something in Chinese and Derek told me to say something about my students.. What a shock!!!!!!! I got very emotional, thinking of the honor of being awarded by the students and I don't even remember what I said. Camera's were flashing and I felt like a celebrity.........
They made me feel like one - they are so generous with their love and praise.
All in all it was an award for the "Most Loved Teacher" in the Medical Department. I was speechless and very honored and felt undeserving. Later, one of the Post Graduates (Hancock) told me that they were especially excited for me because a foreign teacher had never been nominated before. I was the first!!!!!!!
Please know that I am not putting this incident on the Blog site to brag, but it is for my records. I am not a teacher by profession and I felt so honored and unworthy of the award. It also was very humbling for me - to think the students voted for me. Who ever thought?????

As I start to tell my students good-bye, I feel sad. I have grown to love them with all my heart and I will miss them. The Sophomores will go to another campus next year, for 2 years and I doubt that I will ever see some of them again. They have been a big part of my life here. There are tears shed as I bid them farewell and I pray that we will meet again someday.

Yesterday I cooked an American meal for my Post Graduates. We had pulled pork sandwiches, a green salad and apple crisp. All 30 students commented on the American food and how good it tasted. They could not believe that I had cooked meat for them! And they devoured the green salad and loved the Ranch dressing. Many thought the apple crisp was too sweet and couldn't imagine that I had cooked apples!!!!! They left our apartment, with tears in their eyes, as I bid them farewell. Even those big boys who were so shy and so afraid that I would talk directly to them, who could not even look me in the eye when I first met them!!!!

They have come so far and I believe there is no doubt in their minds, that I love them. I have made it a habit to sing to all my classes every time we meet and I think the music has had an effect on them. Today, "Lemon", in my class told me, "Mrs. Halladay, you always sing to us that we are Your Sunshine, and you are our Sunshine!"

What a great year this has been and what an experience for us! I am so thankful the Lord allowed us this opportunity. We have been so blessed by these special people. There is no place else, I would rather be, than in Qingdao China at this time.......

Many changes have taken place in our lives and one big change is the fact that Roger will serve as the Qingdao China Branch President!!!! He was called to serve on Father's day, June 14, 2009. President Steven Toronto is the District President for this part of China and he called us early Sunday morning and ask us to meet with him and Roger was called. What a nice surprise, I am sure he will do a great job. He is a great father, grandfather husband, brother and friend. The Lord knows his capabilities and has confidence in him. So do I....

We will be leaving China, to come home, on Thursday, June 9, 2009. We are anxious to see the family and spend time with everyone. We are especially looking forward to spending time with the grandchildren. We have missed them very much and can hardly wait to see them and get our hugs and kisses in.

Much Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Kourtney said...

Congrats on the amazing award. If anyone deserves such a special honor it is you Jane. You are the most caring women, your smile is contagious and you make people feel wanted when you are around. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Congrats Roger on the new calling you are amazing and will do a great job. Thanks for allowing your children (Erik and Michelle) and your grandchildren (Alex,kole and Andee) to be apart of our lives. They are beautiful people inside and out. We feel so blessed to have the opportunity of getting to know them and to hang out with them.