Saturday, June 6, 2009

China Times...

Hello Everyone:

I can't believe that another week has passed and I haven't reported to you lately. And so much has happened....
Last weekend we had more company and we had a great time. Mike and Maradel Brown came from Beijing
for the weekend and we had so much fun with them. It was the celebration of the Dragon Boat Festival and the
entire country was celebrating. A feeling of celebration was in the air and everyone, everywhere was happy.
We shopped (of course!) went to the tailor for more clothes and to the Pearl Lady for pearls to match the new
outfits!!! What fun.

Friday night we met some of my students down on May 4th Square and we had a ball. Mike bought about 10
or 12 kites from our "kite man" and we also bought another 4 or 5 ourselves. I wonder how we will get all these
things back home @#$?&^
My students were so cute to all us "old people". They helped us "bargain shop" on the wharf and they were so
helpful and cute. There were 11 or 12 of them - all from one class. When I see the students out of the classroom,
it seems that I see a side of them that is more relaxed. I also can actually have a one-on-
one conversation with them. It helps them with their English, as well. As we were returning to the apartment,
Maradel mentioned that she could now understand why we wanted to return to Qingdao next year - because of our
close association with these unusual kids. They are exceptional. They even allowed me to buy them all a cheap
little bracelet to remember our night together.

This past week I have had my little Japanese friend come over to the apartment almost every day to read the Bible.
She is so interested in the Church and she needs help with her oral English, so she has been reading the Bible
out loud to me. She is so anxious to read and the stories are so interesting to her and her eagerness is so
refreshing.

For the past 3 mornings we have been awakened at 6:00 a.m. by the sound of a power drill, electric power lift and
shovels scraping on the roof above us. Throughout the day the "jack hammer" is grinding away too. Apparently
they are going to put a new roof on the building and it is a slow process. Today the workers were throwing the
garbage off the roof and it was falling on the neighbors veranda. What an experience..... AND so funny..

The past two weeks, I have been helping several of the students with speeches for a competition. There are 8 students
collectively and it has been such fun for me. They are students that I don't know as well as others and I have had
a good time with them. These students are so smart and so appreciative.

I will include some pictures from the past week. You will see the ones that we took at night at May 4th as well as a ]
few more from the week.

I have given my classes a writing assignment and have been reading them all day. The first assignment was to write the
story of their lives - ages 0 to 6 years old. I have had my eyes opened and learned so many things about the
culture and customs. I will look at these special people with different eyes, from now on. They are amazing people
and they have had some experiences I thought people didn't have to experience these days. My little students are
amazing people and I love them so much. I am so blessed to be associated with each one of them and have the
privilege of getting to know them. They are amazing...
The next assignment will be, ages 6 to 12 years old, and then 12 to present age. I have had my eyes opened and I
have a new appreciation for these kids. They are exceptional...

I love you. Today we were in the market and saw a darling little Chinese boy in a cute red outfit and he came over to us
and smiled up at us. He looked SO MUCH like our little Deken !!!! I got a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes,
thinking about all my dear Grandchildren and realized that I am homesick and ready to come home and see all of you.
We think of you often and want you to know that you are in our prayers. I believe we have a new appreciation for all of
you and that our love for you has increased. Can hardly wait to see your dear faces and to have a big hug...

Much Love,
Mom

No comments: