Saturday, May 16, 2009

Week of May 12, 2009‏

Here is a report of our latest adventures..

I always think that I have seen it "all" here and that there isn't another thing that would amaze me. And then, another crazy thing happens!!!!!
The other day we went to our favorite super market - "RT" to buy some supplies and as we were dodging between all the people I saw something that made me stand with my mouth opened, in amazement... In the super markets they have live fish and live "things?%#@ in a big area near the meat. There are all sorts of fish and chicken parts (yes - even the famous chicken heads, inner parts and feet) in huge tubs' just sitting out with a thin layer of ice under them. As I looked the place over, I saw several women talking excitedly and grabbing the pigs feet, examining them and tossing them back into the pile. One woman grabbed a couple of the pigs feet that were stuck together and she dropped them on the floor to separate them. ON THE FILTHY FLOOR..... Apparently she had found the object of her search and it was too large,so she tried separating it by dropping it on the gross floor. I had to stop and stare in amazement. Unbelievable......

We have had a wonderful few days, with the Ferrel's from Nankai University. They are dear BYU China teachers and they are so much fun to have come and visit. They wanted to have a trip to the famous - Jimo Market, or Pearl Palace, as I call it!
Friday we spent a great day at the market and they found some real treasures - we literally shopped, until we dropped. After the "shopping frenzy" we met the other BYU teachers at a new Mexican restaurant and had a great dinner. It is such a welcome change to spend time with other Americans.

Today as we walked back to our apartment, we heard someone hammering on something metal and we looked up and saw a man leaning out of a 6 story building window. He had a hammer in his hand was pounding, as hard as he could, on something metal near the window. He kept leaning out, further and further - he was standing on something and I was so frightenend that he would lean too far and topple out the window. I swear, sometimes the Chinese really take risks that could be harmful OR far even fatal.

It is such a comical thing to be in China, when you think of all the things that are SO different from our way of life in the United States. Just because they are different does not mean their ways are better or worst, but it really causes me to reflect on the many blessings I have as an American citizen. I guess I have always assumed that all people did things pretty much the same way. Wrong. I've lived a pretty sheletered life and I have sure had my eyes opened to a completely different way of life!!!
I guess what I am trying to say is.... some of my views on life, as I have assumed it should be, are not always the best ways.
I do not need a large, spacious place to live. I do not need a big bathroom. I do not need lots of dishes to be happy! I do not need hot water in my kitchen to wash dishes - I can carry water to my small kitchen sink and still do dishes. I do not need a big clothes washer, with hot water, to clean my clothes. AND, I can wear the same 5-6 outfits for nine months and survive. I can sleep on a hard bed and really learn to love it. I can walk to school in the hot sun or blowing rain and be perfectly happy. I can see the good in all races of people and love them because they are Heavenly Fathers children, just like me.
Have I changed??? YES. I will never be the same person who left Cedar City, Utah on August 27, 2008. I have learned to love these wonderful Chinese people with such a strong love, I wonder how I survived without them in my life before now!!! I see beauty in all their faces and I pray that I am not as judgemental as I was when I arrived here in Qingdao, China. They readily accept us Americans and I pray that we Americans are as accepting of them. I know I will forever defend the Chinese people and their strong family ties and respect for me as an elder and teacher. They readily accept me and love me for who I am. They always have a hug for me and want to hold my hand and protect me. How cherished I feel when I am with them - any of my students or any of Roger's students. I thank Heavenly Father every day for all my blessings and the chance to be in China. Hopefully I return to the United States a more loving, accepting, caring person.

I love you all very much,
Mom

1 comment:

erikhalladay1 said...

Jane, you make me cry. We all need to learn lessons like that. We do have so very much. Life is funny and has a way of making each of us really realize how blessed we have been, sometimes taking all we have away from us for a while so we will be more appreciate and more content and more accepting when we return to it or have it back. What a neat, life changing experience you have been having. we love you
Michelle and Erik