Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Remarkable Day!

Dear Family,
I just have to write and tell you about the things that happened yesterday...

Last night Rog and I helped 4 of my students prepare for the upcoming Speech Competition and as we were finishing, another student - Kaye, came by our apartment.
Kaye is one of those souls who is a misfit in the class. Her little face looks as if she has had a stroke - it sags on one side. She is a very intelligent, sad little girl and
I have always had a "soft spot" in my heart for her. She usually comes to the apartment with her 5 roommates, but she came alone last night because she had
something that she wanted to discuss with me.
She ask me if I had noticed a change in her in the past 2 months and before I could answer, she said that she is much happier and not as sad nowadays. I did not
say a word, I just sat and listened to her as she poured her heart out to me. She said she feels loved and she is very happy, now that she has found "him". I thought
she had found a boyfriend, but continued to sit and listen. She went on to tell me that she isn't lonely anymore because she now has brothers and sisters.
It took her time to express herself, she said that "he" had made a difference in her life. I ask who "he" was? She said, "You know him".. and held her hands like a cross.
She knows she cannot talk about this - she was taking me into her confidence! She told me that she goes to church and there are many
churches here in Qingdao. She went on to tell me that church is where she talks to her brothers and sisters.
I just sat there listening to her and wondering where all this was going....She told me that she knew I had religion in my life, that I was a Christian and she
ask me to please help her and tell her more about "him". What a temptation!!!!!!! She told me the reason she had come to see me alone, was because she needed
to talk to me about this and she would tell no one what we talked about. She pleaded with me to tell her more about "him." I explained to her that I had signed an agreement with her government as well as Qingdao University that I would never discuss my religion.
Then she told me that she wishes she could live in the United States and worship as she pleases. She told me that she knew that I worshiped as I wanted because
I always seem to be so happy and content. She told me that she always sees me with Mr. Halladay and we hold hands and smile at each other. She knows
there is something different about us.
I can honestly say that I just sat there wondering what to say. I just sat and let her do all the talking. I said a silent prayer that I would say the right
things to her - appropriate words that would put her mind at ease. I will say that many things went through my mind as I sat there with tears in my eyes. I put my
arms around her and told her how much I loved her and the subject turned to her new internet friend.
After our little talk, we walked her back to the dormitory and she kept tell us that she was so proud to be with us. It made me feel sad for her. She said that she loves
to tell the girls in the dormitory that I am her teacher and that I love her, because everyone knows me. What a humbling experience for me....... I tell you this - not to
brag, in any way - but to share with you, how very dear my little Kaye is.
So what do you all think of this??? I know we are not on a mission......But are we? I think that everything we say or do is a reflection of the United States of America
and of the Church and they are watching everything we do. They are interested in our actions, thoughts and deeds and it is a very humbling, spiritual experience.

Today I had a wonderful class of Sophomores - they had collected pine cones and wanted to know of a use for them. I tried to explain the pine cone turkey's we
make at Thanksgiving and could not, so I told them to collect as many pine cones as they could and bring to class. I took all sorts of things to embellish the pine
cones, such as glitter, glue, ribbon, feathers, marking pens, colored paper, etc. They had a great time. I let them use their imaginations and I wish I had taken
the camera to class.... It was unbelievable. They made some darling things - the boys having the best imaginations. I walked around the classroom and
visited with each one in the class and really got to spend some "one on one" time with them. It was a spectacular day for me, one I won't forget.
Much Love,
Mom

2 comments:

erikhalladay1 said...

That is so sweet. I know you are there for a reason. It is just like Roger Williams, and Martin Luther at plymoth Rock. They were the reformers,They prepared people for the Gospel so when it came to them, they would embrace it. You both are doing sooo much good for the Church. We love ya
Michelle and Erik

Kourtney said...

when Scott was in China he oticed that one of the tour guides was wearing a cross on her chest. He asked about it. The tour guide explained that they don't talk about that but for some reason she is able to worship. that makes me so grateful that I live in a land where i can worship God and his son Jesus Christ. Ican't imagine how you felt as one of Heavenly Fathers daughters was asking ou questions about Him. It would be very difficult for me not to talk about it. However it was probably save that you didn't.