Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Days in China

Dear Family:

Been busy here and it seems that the weeks just fly by lately. Yesterday I saw some things that I do not want to forget, so I thought that I would write to you to post on the Blog.

We went to Jimo Market with the Blakes yesterday afternoon and had a good time helping Sister Blake shop for pearls for her family. Well, I will say that I had a good time pearl shopping, Dad was nervously pacing!!!!
The Blakes invited us to their apartment over by Oceans University after the shopping and as we prepared to return home, we noticed it was "rush hour" for the buses! All the school kids were at the bus stop, as we approached our bus stop and we looked at each other and wondered why we decided to leave at that particular time of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When our bus - the "202" arrived, I noticed a cute junior high age girl board the bus at the same time we did. She sat by a much older gentleman and as I was sitting directly across from them, I couldn't help but notice them. He smiled at her and handed her a plastic container filled with sliced apples, which she ate. What made me notice them in the first place, was the love and concern the "Yah Yah" or Grandpa had for the young granddaughter! He was so patient and loving with her in a very Chinese way. I noted the pride in his eyes as he looked at her and spoke with her and especially the detail he took as he handed her each food item to eat. He watched her eat with such love. He had a newspaper that he kept reading to her and they would look at each other and smile. He did this for at least one hour, as the bus kept stopping at each stop - people coming and going constantly. I wondered if they lived together or if he had just "gone to pick her up" at her stop???.. I will never know. How sad for me! Finally, he got off the bus, smiling at her as he exited the bus. She then moved to a seat by herself and then she got off the bus three stops later.

Family Love is the same in any language or culture. It made me stop and think of my own grandchildren and how much I love each one and how proud I am of each one of them. I am sure that foreigners in our country can see the same thing I saw yesterday in my eyes - as I look at my grandchildren - at least I hope so...

Something else I wanted to comment on, is how strange the school system is in China! For the past week, as I arrive to teach my classes, there are two girls standing outside the classroom waiting until the bell rings, signifying that it is time to start class.
Just before I start the class, the two girls enter the classroom and ask if they can talk to the students. Then, they call names of the students in the class, at random. I was curious as to why they are doing this and I ask Li Yang and he told me that they were checking to see if the students are attending class. So interesting. And, why do they do this??? I don't think I will ever know.

As I taught my Easter lesson today and looked in those faces which I have grown to love, I wondered what they would be doing a year from today and how their lives will have changed. I know that I will no longer be a part of their lives in a year and it really makes me sad.
They have such a child-like innocence that is so refreshing and I will miss. They speak and act with such respect and admiration-I will never forget them and the things they have taught me. I can honestly say that I love every one of them.

We are looking forward to Lesa and her planned visit to China. It will be so exciting for us to have her here and see the things we see and experience the things we experience. We just wish that every member of our family could come as well.

Hope your Easter weekend is a great one. We will relax and stay here in Qingdao with the Henderson's from St. George. Do a little or a lot of shopping, sight seeing and preparing for next weeks classes. Our thoughts will be with all of you, as we remember the Savior's resurrection and the celebration that He lives. We strive daily to exemplify His life as we live among these dear people, hoping that someday they will be able to have the gospel in their lives. We know that our example is the only way to spread His love for each of His children here on the earth.

All our love,
Mom and Dad

No comments: