Friday, September 25, 2009

China News

Dear Family:
It seems like we have never left China, now that we are back and teaching school again. I am already dreading the thoughts of
having to leave this wonderful country and her people.
We have had some interesting things happening and I wanted to tell everyone what is going on here. As you all know, China as
well as the USA, has been concerned over the H1N1 OR "swine flu" epidemic. When we left the United States there had been
several cases we were aware of and when we arrived in Qingdao there wasn't much talk of the flu. NOW there is alot of talk about
the flu. On Friday we received word that an Art student here at Qingdao University had the H1N1 flu. My monitor in my 8:00
class told me that the boys in one of the dorms had been quarantined and therefore would miss my class that day. On Saturday,
our Waiban told us that we were to take our temperatures every day and if we had a fever, we were to report to her. We were also told
that we were not to have any students over to our apartment, not meet any students outside of the classroom, and not go anywhere
there are alot of people. This morning one of my students called and said that she could not leave her dorm - it was quarantined and
Angelina - another student, just called and said that she could not leave her dorm either. She told me to expect a call from the Medical
Department telling me that all classes had been canceled. I have not received a call BUT this is getting pretty serious.
Long story - short.... I have NOT been to class this week because the entire medical department has been quarantined and therefore unable to leave their dorms. They have stayed in their rooms for the entire week, never leaving the building! No baths either because they all bathe in the public bathhouses! Reports from my little Angelina say that the students are literally "hanging" out of the dorm windows. She said that all the entrances to the dorms are guarded by masked, armed, guards. I guess that a newspaper man came to the dorm to interview and take pictures and the students were all hanging out of the windows, waving and yelling as their pictures were taken. What a week!!!! One I am sure I won't forget...
Next week we will teach class Monday through Wednesday and then leave on a vacation to Guizhou for the National Holiday. We will be gone from October 1 through October 8. It is a place we are all anxious to see as it is very beautiful and one of the poorest regions in the country. We are promised to see many of the ethnic groups with traditional dress. I will take many pictures and keep a detailed journal to send home..
We are enjoying the time here. This is an especially busy weekend with our Branch Conference which will be visited by the District Presidency. I must say that President Halladay has been very busy getting the agenda all arranged... He has such great organizational skills and is so meticulous that I am sure that all will go well. He has had to prepare two talks and he has really been busy and stressed. Please include him in your prayers!
We have ordered food for the Brethren after the meetings tomorrow and we ordered it through Kentucky Fried Chicken. Due to the fact the we don't speak Chinese, Shirley - our waiban - agreed to order the chicken for us. She is so helpful and kind to help us but I have had a good laugh at her use of the English language! The Chinese call the chicken sandwichs at KFC "chicken hamburgs".... Also, a chicken breast was referred to as a "chicken chest" !!!!!!!!! We were told that if we ordered chicken from the Chinese KFC, we could get a "bonus" gift of 2 free chicken wings for every 75 RMB we spend OR a free egg tart for every 50 RMB we spend! Oh - and we must pay an additional 6 RMB to have the food delivered to us!!!!!!! By the way, 6 RMB doesn't even equal one U.S. dollar...... How we have learned to LOVE these dear people.
I will write more tomorrow telling you all about the big "shin dig" we have been invited to...
We love and miss all of you. You are in our thoughts and prayers ....
OXOXOXO Mom

1 comment:

Kourtney said...

I am sad to hear about the students getting the swine flu and the inability to teach. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your next holiday. I wonder if you will extend again? I am glad that you are having a wonderful experience.