Saturday, September 5, 2009

Arrival in China

Dear Family,

We have arrived back in China and we are in "full swing" again. We are so happy to be all situated and ready for the coming semester.
Our trip over across the sea was much shorter - or so it seemed - this year, because we left the states at night and went immediately
to sleep on the plane!
We did have a little scare as the plane was preparing to land in Beijing though. It seemed that the plane was going much too fast to make
a landing and as we touched the ground the pilot hit full thrust on the engines and we started back up into the sky! I must say that my heart
was in my stomach and I was plenty frightened. I just bowed my head and prayed because I couldn't think of anything else to do!!!!!!
We circled the airport for about 5-10 minutes and then came in for a landing.
We did arrive in Qingdao on August 27, 2009 at 9:30 a.m. and we had the day to get unpacked and situated, unlike last year when we arrived
at 2:00 a.m.
Our apartment was a sight to behold!!!!! As you all know, when we left Qingdao in July to return to the USA, it had been raining and the rain
had leaked in our bedroom and there was a good inch of water on the kitchen floor. The University assured us that they would fix our
ceiling and the roof and then paint our apartment for us before we returned. And they did..............
There was paint splattered everywhere!!!! I have never seen anything like it. They painted, as promised, BUT they painted around the map
on the wall, splattering paint all over the map. They had splattered paint on our wardrobes - which were covered. And there is paint that
has dripped from the ceiling, down the tile walls in the kitchen. I was so upset, and then I started to laugh and could not stop laughing - it
is so funny !!!!!!!!!! Our bed even had paint splattered on the mattress (box springs!) Paint had been left to drip everywhere they painted!
Oh, and they painted within an inch of the corners with the paint roller and never finished the job in the corners! They painted around
anything that was in their way. How funny it has been to sit and look at the walls. What an experience...
As soon as we arrived, we met with our Department Co-teachers and were told when we would start teaching and given a copy of our Fall
teaching schedules. We had grand ideas that we would be the "returning, seasoned, teachers" therefore, having better teaching schedules :(
WRONG.....
Unlike last year - my classes started immediately. Roger's classes do not start until September 11th!!!!
I have the "odd week and even week" schedule AGAIN... I teach 3 Freshmen classes, 7 Sophomore classes and one Junior class. BUT........
All my Sophomore classes and the Junior class are students that I taught last year!!!!!! Yeah for me - I was so happy to see them. However,
this means that I will HAVE to have an entire new set of lessons - more preparation............... Also, I have the Juniors every week, not every
other week. Yes, I have a much harder teaching schedule than last year and I will be constantly preparing lessons!! But I do have every other
Friday off :)
I will STILL have time to go to the Pearl Market though....

It was wonderful to see our dear Korean Branch members last Sunday and renew our friendships. They are dear people and very special to us.
The children have grown in the 6 weeks we were gone and it was wonderful to see each of them.

We love the people we are in Qingdao with this year. We convinced Victoria Brinton to return with us again and we are happy to be here with
Mike and Merlene Ellington as well - they are dear friends. We also have the Stevens' - John and Cathy here at Qingdao University. The two
couples at Ocean University are Burton and Pat Shields and Dave and Cherry Blake and we are looking forward to getting to know them better.

It was wonderful to see Judy (Lulu) and Andy again. They have recently married and they seem so happy. I cannot tell you how happy I am that
I have the opportunity to teach the same students again this semester! They are so dear to me and I especially loved the hugs and kisses they
each gave me on the first day of class. Also, my dear Post Graduates from last year have been over to the apartment to visit. And LeeYang was
here to walk me to class and carry my bags - as usual. We feel so welcome and appreciated.

We miss home and reminisce about the good time we had with each of you. Chad and family were so gracious to have us stay for such a long
time and we appreciate their love and patience. Lesa and Darren always make us feel so welcome and treat us royally - seeing to our EVERY
need. It was great to see our new Master bathroom, in our home and we appreciate all the efforts of Erik and Michelle on the re-model mess.
They seem to know just exactly what it is we need and will enjoy. Michelle is so talented. It was great to see Natalie and family and spend time
with them. You are our world and we love you all so very much. We appreciate your love and support.
Please know that you are in our every thought and prayer and we love you very much.
Mom

1 comment:

Kourtney said...

We are glad that you made to China safely. It was nice to see you. we hope tha we can see you in china this spring. Love the Jolleys