Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reporting In!!!!

Dear Family,
I haven't written for a while, so I thought I would take a few minutes and send an update.

We have been so busy getting lesson plans ready for the semester to start. Rog has 8 lessons all ready to go! I am not so organized :(
School started Monday, March 2 and it was so great to see the students again. The medical department took 2 of my classes and gave them
to the new teacher and gave me 2 new classes... Seemed strange to me, and I must admit that I was upset. I have become VERY attached
to my students and I will miss those 2 classes. I only have to prepare a lesson every 2 weeks, as I teach 11 different classes in a 2 week period.
Therefore, I only have to prepare 8 different lessons during a semester instead of the 16 different lessons Rog has to prepare. His schedule is set,
meaning he goes to school everyday Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon - in the same building, in 2 different classrooms. My
schedule is crazy /?@W#!$%.
The first and third odd weeks of the month, I have 1 class on Monday, 1 class on Tuesday, 1 class on Wednesday, 2 classes on Thursday,
and 1 class on Friday of the same week. On the second and fourth even weeks, I have Monday off, 1 class on Tuesday,1 class on Wednesday,
1 class on Thursday, and 2 classes on Friday of the same week. Crazy huh? And, very hard to understand.....

Yesterday, as I walked home from class, I spotted two Grandma's with a stroller containing a small someone that was crying and fussing. They
were trying to get the little person out of the seat and having a real struggle. As I passed them, I leaned over and smiled at her. She stopped crying
and allowed the Grandma to remove her from the stroller. I must add here, usually the Chinese babies are frightened when they see me and cry - which
she did!!! Both Grandma's laughed, as did I. The Grandma that took her, carried her over by the shrubbery, leaned over and started to make little
noises with her mouth - and the toddler started to use the toilet! Yes - the small children in China DO NOT wear diapers, they wear pants with a
hole in the crotch, and the Grandma's watch the child's every move, waiting for the little one to signal that they need to use the toilet.
Grandma's make a certain noise or sing a certain song, which is a signal the child is trained to recognize, that triggers the urge to use the bathroom!!!!!
It is amazing and it fascinates me.

Rog has sure been miserable with a pinched nerve in his back. We have had him to see a Dr. and even resorted to a Chinese acupuncturist. He has
literally been on his back for 2 weeks. He has had to have another teacher teach his classes this past week. I have been very concerned about him,
he has been in so much pain. Last night was the worst, with the acupuncturist making a second call in one day to help with the pain in his stomach
muscles. Thankfully she did a marvelous job and helped him so he could breathe and sleep without pain. Today he has been much better, but very
stiff and sore. He looks so peaked and sore. We feel of your prayers on his behalf. Thank you for your love and concern.

We feel so richly blessed and thankful for our many blessings. We have been reading the Book of Mormon and we have come to understand so
many things the scriptures are telling us about this day and age. We know that our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to obey Him and we
are doing all we can to follow His counsel. We are very happy and we know that we are in China for a special reason. These students are
wonderful and we love them dearly. We are planning on returning to China to teach again in August. We will come to the USA in July and stay
until the end of August and return to China to teach a second year.

Please know of our love for all of you. It is so great to talk to you on Skye and hear those sweet, familiar voices. We love and miss everyone and
look forward to seeing you in July.
Mom

No comments: