Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Our Corner of the World‏


Dear Family:

It seems like a long time has passed since I have written to you. Things change around here on a daily basis and the time passes so fast.
Especially with school starting again, with the routine of classes and seeing the students again and renewing our acquaintances. Before we
know it, we will be on the airplane headed for home and family :)

We have both been taking acupuncture treatments twice a week and it really works ! ! ! Rog for his back and stomach and I for my stiff
neck and shoulders. It seems like such a primitive treatment method and it is hard to imagine that having needles stuck into your
muscles could help you!! I have sent photos. I must say that having the needles stuck in my hands are the most painful. It is such
a strange sensation with needles sticking out all over your neck, shoulders and back. It feels as if an electrical current runs between
the needles and she twists them as part of the treatment and that is a real treat! I never thought I would have such an experience.
But, it does work.
And, the lady who does the acupuncture has turned into a very dear friend. We both love and trust her. She is 38 years old and a
widow with no children. It just so happens her name is Jane also! I feel as if I have met her somewhere before. Do you suppose in
the Spirit world?

On Monday, we went to Jimo Market to a store that is going out of business. We were told the store sells quality, expensive items,
and that all items were marked at unbelievable prices - up to 90% off the original price!
We went not expecting to find much BUT we "hit the jackpot".
The store was located in an obscure, out-of-the-way place, with many unusual and questionable sights en route.
As we were winding through alleys, up and down filthy secluded stairwells, with many smells and sights - I thought to myself,
"What am I doing here?" Have you ever done that? Gone somewhere, when you were out of your comfort zone and
really felt out of place? I thought, "What is a girl from little Cedar City, Utah doing here, in a foreign land, going - who knows where -
to a sale?"
BUT, I kept going !!!!! I must tell you, I found the real Chinese "treasures" I hoped I would find when in China. Things I have seen
on Chinese documentaries and in books about China. Real treasures... Need I say more??????
You will have to come to our home in July or August, if you would like to see.

En route to the "sale" we passed a sight I could hardly comprehend...
We saw several men lined up, about 100 yards apart, with a chair and a pair of hair clippers.
They were all cutting peoples hair and chattering and having a great time.
We took a picture and the little guy whose picture we snapped, became very angry with us - he DID NOT want his picture taken......
This place was in the "bowels" of China, mind you. So funny.

It was wonderful to see my students after the 2 month break. I have missed them and they are all so happy to see me. The
smiles on their dear faces, warms my heart. How I love them! I will take more pictures and send. They do not look like
Chinese to me anymore - they look like very dear friends who love me, as I love them.
It is a comfort to know that we will return next Fall and teach for another year. We know that our work is not finished here.

Please know how we love and miss all of you. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we know that Heavenly Father watches
over you for us. You are exceptional people and we are proud to be your parents. We especially miss our dear grandchildren..
All our love,
Dad and Mom

1 comment:

Kourtney said...

Hi Jane, I am so glad that you are blogging. I have enjoyed looking through your pictures. Scott just got home from China he said that it opened his eyes. I am sure that you guys are seeing more than what he was able to see in a few short days. We love you and hope all is well. We have fallen in love with your children and grandchildren they are wonderful just like you and Roger. Talk to you soon Kourt-Scott